About Me

My photo
I'm a writer and library worker who wears many hats. I believe a good book and a good piece of chocolate are the keys to a happy life.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gearing Up For NaNoWriMo

Soooo, here’s my dilemma. It’s almost NaNoWriMo time and I still haven’t picked my project. I went through my active files and chose the one I wanted to finish first, but I can’t decide if it’s cheating to start with 12,000 words if you still set a goal of writing 50,000 more.


The whole point is to start with only an idea and a determined spirit and come out the other end of November with a 50,000 word novel. No, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a good one. It’s more an exercise in kicking yourself in the pants and demonstrating that you really can write when you put your mind to it.


I could start something entirely new, of course. But that opens up another Pandora’s Box of decisions. My idea file is quite extensive and more than a handful are screaming “Pick me! Pick me!”


It’s quite a problem as you can see.
What would you do if you were me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to tell you. I have an idea and an outline for Nano...I will write in the beginning of November, but the outline feels like cheating...omg, I don't know what to tell you. Just keep it a secret, okay :)

Alison Palmer said...

Shhh! I won't tell if you don't tell. ;)

Marcia Mickelson said...

I had the same dilemma. I'm doing Nano (first time for me) and have a novel I wanted to finish. I have about 30K words and figured if I do 50 K during nano, I will be able to finish. But I think I am starting a newer project. It's only about 500 words in, so I don't feel as bad. I say work on what is really calling you. Good luck. We should become buddies.