About Me

My photo
I'm a writer and library worker who wears many hats. I believe a good book and a good piece of chocolate are the keys to a happy life.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Funny Sunday

This past Sunday I came home from a meeting to find all of my boys (husband included) in the kitchen laughing up a storm. I also noticed the house smelled a little funny. Yes, boys unsupervised usually means pyrotechnics in my home. Fortunately the instigator of said fire play is the biggest boy. It never occurs to the children to experiment with out dad because his ideas are always the coolest.


I knew I shouldn’t have, but I just had to . . . I asked what was so funny. My husband presented me with a paper plate full of neatly lined up little grape halves. My first thought was he was teaching them something perverse ‘cause the things looked like marching rows of, well, a certain female anatomy.


I glowered. He laughed, “No, no, really! Come watch.”


Like a moth to the flame I was drawn to the microwave where my husband inserted the grapes and punched cook. My boys cackled and I watched in awe as the little suckers burst into flame.


Coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time and definitely worth the lingering smell. I just told myself it was really generic citrus potpourri.


Wanna try it? True to my husband’s form I got the whole technical explanation about how it works. Something about how it wasn’t technically torching the grapes, it was causing “arcing” between the two halves. . . .


He insists that all you have to do is carefully cut the grapes in half, leaving a tiny portion of the skin still attached to both parts. Lay them out on a paper plate with the cut side down. They should be almost, but not quite touching. Then toss ‘em in the microwave and watch the sparks fly!


Oh, and something about less is more- don’t fill the entire plate with grapes, start with like six or so.


There you go: a cheap bit of entertainment for Family Home Evening next week. I’m sure there’s a gospel message in there somewhere, but I’ll let you figure that one out for yourself.

1 comment:

Judaloo said...

That does not surprise me one bit! Very funny. We will have to try it...