About Me

My photo
I'm a writer and library worker who wears many hats. I believe a good book and a good piece of chocolate are the keys to a happy life.

Friday, April 3, 2009

Confessions of a Completely In*sane Mother by Kersten Campbell


Naturally, the first thing that caught my attention about Confessions of a Completely Insane Mother by Kersten Campbell, was the name. I mean, how can you go wrong with a name like that? The next thing that appealed to me was its compact size. This was no overwhelming volume of prose no mother has time to read. When I flipped through I knew it would be completely doable to fit this title into almost any busy mother’s day. It’s just the right size for slipping in a purse or diaper bag and each story is short enough to get through during a car wash cycle. Yes, I have been known to take my children on a field trip to the car wash just so I can strap them in the car and entertain them at the same time.


Confessions of a Completely Insane Mother is a collection of very brief stories that help you laugh at life as a mother. The writing style is not complex or overly poetic. It’s light and simple and designed to bring a smile to your face. When I began reading my first impression was, “Meh, its okay.” But, by the time I was several stories in I was getting excited to see what the next adventure might hold. By the time my daughter got out of seminary 30 minutes later, I had tears rolling down my cheeks from laughter. She was very confused, until I gave her the book to read on the drive home. It didn’t take long before she was giggling as well.


This isn’t a book you want to turn to if your looking for prophetic and inspiring thoughts on the wonderful gift of motherhood. This is the book you turn to when you need a good friend to lighten your heart after a day that makes you wonder what in the world you thought you were doing having kids in the first place.


I highly recommend having a copy of Confessions of a Completely Insane Mother on hand. In fact, here’s my advice. Take this book and a flashlight and stash them behind the extra toilet paper rolls in the bathroom. Since no one but you ever changes the roll they won’t get disturbed. Then, the next time you’re ready to go insane yourself, sneak in the bathroom. Close and lock the door. Don’t turn on the light, the kids will find you too soon. Pull out the book and flashlight, put a towel over your head to block out the light and read a couple of chapters. Be forewarned, if you giggle too loudly that will set off the mommy pheromones as well and your hiding place will be discovered. Bite the towel if you have to because every mommy needs their own “time out” spot.


When you’ve read a few chapters you’ll feel better and be ready to face the world again. Not because you have been reminded that “Motherhood is next to Godhood” but because you’ve remembered that you’re not alone in the craziness. Go ahead, put Confessions of a Completely Insane Mother by Kersten Campbell on your list of things to do just for yourself. It won’t eat up much time or money, but it will help the next time you walk into the kitchen to find your children making pancakes in the middle of the floor- without a bowl. We all have those days and it helps to be able to giggle about them.



yourLDSneighborhood has added exciting new things to its website. Please drop by and take a look, browse around, check out our vendors, our radio station, our authors, our musicians and more. Check out the Neighborhood.


And while you're there, subscribe to the yourLDSneighborhood Newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the newsletter brings you articles, products, services, resources and interviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

No comments: