About Me

My photo
I'm a writer and library worker who wears many hats. I believe a good book and a good piece of chocolate are the keys to a happy life.

Friday, March 27, 2009

The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright

Okay, Okay I know I’m behind the times (I swear my to-read list is multiplying behind my back), but I finally got a chance to read The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright. The Wednesday Letters is a national title based on the premise that an older couple, Jack and Laurel, die within a short time of each other. They are found in each other’s arms and the family begins the grieving process while at the same time discovering a secret their parents have kept from them. Every Wednesday, Jack wrote Laurel a letter and Laurel kept them all. As their children begin reading the letter they learn even more secrets about their parents: some fun, some heartbreaking.


Although there were moments when I felt the emotions were a little over-board in their descriptions, I’d have to say that my time with The Wednesday Letters was very enjoyable and satisfying.


This is a sweet book that captures the essence of humanity, both good and bad. It made me think a little bit harder about my own choices and my judgments of other people’s choices where I have no right to judge at all. The Wednesday Letters reminds me that there is always more than one side of a story and every one of them is valid. We’re all just doing our best from day to day, trying to figure out how to stay afloat. It reminds me to make goals for myself and always honor my commitments. It reminds me to try my best everyday, to be a little more dependent on the Spirit and a little less dependent on the world.


This book earns a place on my list of recommendations for a quiet Sunday afternoon. It’s not long, or complicated, and the messages are clearly portrayed in ways we can all understand. It’s a nice reminder about the power of the atonement, repentance and forgiveness even when none of those things seem possible to our frail mortal minds. It provides an inspiring start to some very good subjects for us to ponder as we enter the Easter season. The Wednesday Letters offers a measure of love and hope for a number of common difficulties we can face in this life. I can almost guarantee that you will find yourself somewhere in the cast of characters and probably learn something about your potential as well.


I also realized that after Tuesdays with Morrie, and The Last Lecture, this is the third book I’ve read in less than 12 months that had to do with dying. I’ve gotta find a new theme. My husband is beginning to eye me suspiciously and wonder about my sudden urge to make sure the wills are up to date. Too much introspection can be down right depressing.


I’m still looking for that totally awesome comedy that does nothing but make me laugh out loud. Send me your recommendations—let’s give my husband a different reason to think I’m off my rocker for a while. ;)



yourLDSneighborhood has added exciting new things to its website. Please drop by and take a look, browse around, check out our vendors, our radio station, our authors, our musicians and more. Check out the Neighborhood.

And while you're there, subscribe to the yourLDSneighborhood Newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the newsletter brings you articles, products, services, resources and interviews from around the world-all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

No comments: