About Me

My photo
I'm a writer and library worker who wears many hats. I believe a good book and a good piece of chocolate are the keys to a happy life.

Friday, January 15, 2010

A Quote from The Angel's Game

I've just begun this one so I can't say whether or not it will earn my universal recommendation. But the opening lines stuck with me for the rest of the day.

"A writer never forgets the first time he accepted a few coins or a word of praise in exchange for a story. He will never forget the sweet poison of vanity in his blood and the belief that, if he succeeds in not letting anyone discover his lack of talent, the dream of literature will provide him with a roof over his head, a good meal at the end of the day, and what he covets the most: his name printed on a miserable piece of paper that surely will outlive him. A writer is condemned to remember that moment, because from then on his is doomed and his soul has a price."-- from The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafron

2 comments:

Rachelle Christensen said...

Holy Cow! What a first line. I love it. You'll have to let us know if you love the rest of the book.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Wow! I'm very curious about the book. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.