About Me

My photo
I'm a writer and library worker who wears many hats. I believe a good book and a good piece of chocolate are the keys to a happy life.

Friday, May 29, 2009

Lemon Tart by Josi Kilpack


Well here's a fun new twist. I've enjoyed the national culinary mystery series titles like Chocolate Chip Cookie Murders and Holy Guacamole! It's fun to mix good food with good reading. Now there's a new mystery that’s squeaky clean for the LDS audience. I've got to say that the yellow cover of Lemon Tart by Josi Kilpack is almost as fun as the actual book!


Lemon Tart features a fifty-one year old ultimate-happy-homemaker named Sadie. She finds herself sick at heart and curious of mind when her neighbor and friend Ann Lemmon is found murdered while she has a lemon tart baking in the oven. Hmmm, very curious. Even worse, no one seems to know where Ann's two-year-old son is. It's more than Sadie can handle without "doing something" about it all.


While I found Sadie to be a very lovable character and a neighbor I certainly wouldn't mind having if she'd feed me as much as she feeds here own neighbors, there were several moments when I thought she was an absolute ditz. I suppose that's half the fun of these kinds of books. I mean, what fun would it be if the main character was always totally reasonable and never gave us a chance to say, "You’re kidding me. You actually think it's a good idea to . . . " How cool is a horror movie if you don't get to scream, "No! Don't go in that room you idiot!"


Roll-my-eyes moments aside I certainly got caught up in the story and Josi's excellent story telling techniques. I picked up a few household hints, not that I will actually use them (that would require me too actually keep house) and I got a few new recipes to add to my collection. The lemon tart was far too complicated for my poor culinary skills but the recipes for alfredo sauce and brownies were very yummy. Those even a schmuck like me could make with out messing them up. How fun!


Oh yeah, I did have fun with the mystery part as well. Though I was able to figure some things ahead of time, but there was just enough that I couldn't piece together that made the ending very satisfying. It's a good mix of light and breezy fun and curious clues that will keep you engaged-- but not necessarily biting your nails until the very end.


Looking for a good summer day reading vacation? Lemon Tart just might fit the bill. I for one can’t wait for the next installment.

No comments: