About Me

My photo
I'm a writer and library worker who wears many hats. I believe a good book and a good piece of chocolate are the keys to a happy life.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Every Writer Needs a Support Group

I'm so grateful for the first time I stepped out of my cozy little writing world to attend a writer's conference. I chose one that spoke to who I was both personally and as an author. I found a unique home there that is still one of my favorite places to be.

I'm looking forward to attending the Storymaker's conference this month. The Storymakers are some of my favorite people. When I joined their group the next year, I was exposed to an even greater amount knowledge from these wonderful people. I am in awe of the amount of awesome stuff that this group can accomplish both individually and as a group. In the last month we've had conversations about motives, promotional efforts, other conferences, what to call the parts of a boat, and how to choose our next project. There have been many well wishes for each other's success and support for those who are struggling.

Every writer needs a few good writing friends who understand the weird ways our brains think. Every writer needs a few good readers in the form of a critique group or other method, to strengthen and stretch their writing. Every writer has a dream that needs friends to help cheer you toward those things you hope for most. There is nothing better than being able to log on with a question on structure or plot, or most anything else and have such an awesome knowledge base to pull from. I love to log on to their various blogs and find even more wisdom and glimpses of what makes them tick. If you haven't yet, try a few of the links under my favorite blogs. You never know where you might find a friend or an answer to a writing question. A good place to start would be with sixldswriters or writersinheels. Not because I favor them over my other friends, but because you get to see all kinds of personalities and information in one spot. Go for it.

Writing is lonely, but it doesn't have to be.

2 comments:

Marsha Ward said...

I'm looking forward to seeing you again at the Storymakers' conference, Alison.

Until then, take care!

Unknown said...

Joining, once a year, with all our peers (LDS Storymakers) is one of my brightest parts of the year. Can't wait to see you, my friend.