About Me

My photo
I'm a writer and library worker who wears many hats. I believe a good book and a good piece of chocolate are the keys to a happy life.

Friday, July 3, 2009

Previously Engaged by Elodia Strain

I have decided that Elodia Strain needs to learn how to write faster. I can not possibly wait another year or two for her to give me something new to read. Elodia has definitely earned a place in my reading heart. She’s one of those authors who just makes you feel good on every level. She tells a fun, engaging story that also inspires and uplifts you.


If, like me, you fell in love with Annabelle in The Icing on the Cake, you have to get your hands on Previously Engaged to see what happens next.


Here’s a sneak peak at what Annabelle’s up to this time.





I’ll admit that the first time I got married all I really cared about was the dress and actually getting married. I was young and it was all very exciting, but beyond “me look pretty” I foolishly let my mother do whatever the heck she wanted. Sooo I could fully feel Annabelle’s pain. I also didn’t have to deal with the total weirdness she faces as she enters the world of weddings. What’s up with that? Do brides actually act that way? I’m told they do. *Shudder*


Point in case: The second time I got married (gasp!) I wore the dress I’d worn to my college graduation and got married in a jail (double gasp!). No, the groom was not in the jail. Technically, we were married above the jail in the little city courthouse, but my children will still never let me live it down. I have learned that while having a beautiful wedding can be nice, it very rarely dictates the success of the marriage and I think that’s way more important than “me look pretty.”


So, what I really want to know is do the types of charitable organizations she described really exist? I’m betting they do. And boy does that make me feel like a schmuck for not using more of my time and talents to bless the lives of others. I promise Annabelle, and Elodia, I will repent one of these days. Does anyone know how to go about setting up a nonprofit? Come talk to me in, um, ten years and maybe I’ll have a plan by then.


In reality the message I take away from Elodia’s books is that we all have choices, we all have opportunities to do good and be good. It’s all about which opportunities we take and what our choices mean to us.


Whines for Previously Engaged? Very few. I was a little sad that the copy editing wasn’t better, but that’s a whole different ballgame than the story itself. I also didn’t like the cover as well as I liked The Icing on the Cake. It’s cute, but it didn’t attract my attention as much as I would have liked. I hope it doesn’t blend in too much on the shelves and get overlooked because it’s definitely worth the read.


Yippee for Annabelle! You’re my hero! And, hugs to Elodia for creating a character and message that can so totally capture my heart. Learn to write faster. I’m a very impatient woman. ;)

No comments: